Saturday, March 12, 2011

Follow up on the sandbox

So...it turns out that flash apps don't currently run in the sandbox on the Cr-48, which would explain why the flash app I was running was able to break out of the sandbox - it wasn't in there!  Something that is being fixed (in fact, it should be fixed in the Windows release of Chrome), but I'm still not crazy about the notion that Google has been allowing apps to run outside of the sandbox, even though I can understand that the Chrome OS developers probably thought that cutting corners during the development process would be worth it in order to get more functionality out to the app developers and testers earlier.

This incident did motivate me to get involved with the open source Chromium OS project, so I can better understand the details of the OS.  Just bought a Dell Latitude D420 off of eBay that I'm going to make into a dedicated Chromium development and test machine.  (I wouldn't dare mess with the Cr-48 - it's become too essential to me and I want to keep testing the betas of the "official" Chrome OS releases.)  Can't wait to get that machine here and start digging in to the OS.  Chrome OS really is an innovative computing model!

No comments:

Post a Comment