Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Gettin' some work done

Using Google Docs on the bus yesterday and today to get my budget worked out, update my CV, and figure out my program of study at Utah State (especially which classes I need to retake).  I've used Docs on and off since they were first introduced.  At first, they were really unusable except for the most rudimentary of tasks.  (You could probably use the word processor to make a grocery list, but not much else.)  Now, however, they are really getting pretty good.  Granted, it's not Office, but I actually think Office has become so "feature" loaded and bloated that it's not really usable, either.  That, and the fact that it keeps trying to force you to make your document look the way that some programmer in Redmond thinks it should look, instead of how you want it to look, makes Google Docs a refreshing return to a "just enough functionality to get the job done and no more" philosophy that most office suites have strayed from.

Using Google Docs with the Cr-48's 3G has been a great experience.  Docs saves the work frequently enough that I never have to think about manually saving the file. When I'm getting ready to close the laptop to throw it in my backpack, the document has always just been saved - so I don't need to worry about it.  When I open the notebook back up, there's my document ready for me to work on it again.  Very nice!  The autosave is also very efficient, so I've been getting a lot of use out of the free 100MB per month that the Cr-48 comes with.  In fact, the Chrome OS seems to be very frugal with its bandwidth usage.  I know I wouldn't have been able to do as much on 3G with my Windows or Linux laptops.

No comments:

Post a Comment