Sunday, January 9, 2011

Video night

Testing out video streaming by trying a few different sources.  Tried to sign up for the Netflix free trial to stream some movies there, but - wouldn't you know it - they use the MS Silverlight plug in for their video-on-demand service.  I am not willing to use Silverlight even on a Windows machine, so I turned around and cancelled the Netflix membership.  Then, I went over to Hulu and watched some classic Star Trek episodes.  They were pretty low res with a lot of jerkiness in the feed, but I blame that on the conversion to digital because the commercials were perfect.  Finally, watched a little bit of some Google I/O 2010 session videos.  Worked just as well as my Linux or Windows laptops, basically limited by my WiFi bandwidth more than the machine.  All-in-all, the video experience with the Chrome OS was very good, with the already noted exception of not being able to view content in a platform-centric plug in, like Silverlight (which I blame Netflix, not Google, for)

No comments:

Post a Comment